Green Cards-Permanent Resident Cards

Immigration Attorney Based in White Plains and Yonkers

If you are seeking permanent resident status in the United States, it is critical to comply with the procedural requirements and deadlines and take care to apply for your green card on proper grounds. This may be more complicated than it appears. Yonkers and White Plains green card lawyer Elisa Claro has guided many foreign nationals through the process of obtaining permanent resident status, including people facing challenging circumstances. As an experienced immigration attorney, she can ensure that you are aware of your options at every step of the process and that you understand what to expect.

Pursuing a Green Card (Permanent Resident Status)

You will need to obtain a green card if you want to become a permanent resident in the U.S. This status provides a non-citizen with certain benefits affords more rights to the holder than even the broadest type of visa, including the right to seek employment in the U.S. This means, however, that the U.S. only awards a limited number of green cards each year based on a preference list.

There are a few principal ways of obtaining a green card. First, the applicant may have a family member who is a permanent resident or citizen file an application to sponsor the applicant. This individual may be a spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21. There are a limited number of green cards available for married children or children over the age of 21. A green card holder may also file an application on behalf of an extended relative, but these applications receive lower priority than the prior two categories.

An employer may also sponsor your green card application. Or, you can show that you are a person of extraordinary ability, you may petition for a green card on your own behalf without needing an employer to vouch for you. Preference is given to individuals with extraordinary ability, followed by professionals with advanced degrees and skilled workers with bachelors degrees. Finally, if you are seeking asylum in the U.S. or qualify for refugee status, you may obtain a green card. You may seek a green card for you and your family after one year of residency if you are admitted to the U.S. as a refugee or based on asylum status.

There are also some less common methods for obtaining a green card based on unique circumstances, including foreign medical graduates, foreign children who have been declared as dependents by a U.S. juvenile court and religious workers employed by legitimate religious organizations.

Retain an Experienced Green Card Lawyer in Yonkers, White Plains, or Beyond

We, at The Claro Law Firm, gain satisfaction from taking the confusion and stress out of the immigration process. White Plains and Yonkers green card attorney Elisa Claro is familiar with all of the critical nuances in green card applications and can make sure that your application goes as smoothly as possible. She has represented people throughout Westchester County, including in Peekskill, Rye, Mount Vernon and New Rochelle. Call us now at 1-877-631-3539 or contact us online for a consultation with a visa attorney or representation in another immigration matter.

Client Reviews
"My grandmother and I hired Elisa Claro, Esq. for a ticket that I received shortly before moving out of state. She responded in a professional manner and quickly at that. She got my 5 point ticket dismissed. I would highly recommend her to anyone who has received a ticket and needs a lawyer.” Makenly C.